Thank you for your interest in the Science Explorium! Please use the information below for any questions you may have.
Email SVStevens@myboca.us for questions regarding Explorium volunteer opportunities.
Volunteers help in almost every aspect of the Explorium’s operations including:
- Museum Guides: Greet our guests, facilitate floor interactions and lead demonstrations at our Experiment Express cart.
- Informal Teaching: Assist with our school orientations, after school and weekend programs and Eyes to the Skies astronomy programs.
- Special Events: Represent the Explorium at community events and festivals and assist on special event days at Sugar Sand Park, such as Shriek Week, Back to School Splash, and more!
- Science Camp Counselors: Help the Explorium’s campers have a fun and memorable experience at Science Camp. This position requires an individual to be a minimum age of 15 years old at the start of camp. Camps are offered winter break, spring break, and summer vacation.
People of all ages (minimum of 14 years, 15 for Science Camp) volunteer at the Children’s Science Explorium. The Explorium might be the right place for you if:
- You enjoy working with kids.
- You have a good sense of humor.
- You enjoy science.
- You are confident speaking publicly.
- You enjoy learning and sharing your knowledge.
- You want to meet fun people.
- You want to be more involved in the community.
- You need hours for community service.
All volunteers participate in a mandatory interview and orientation prior to beginning their time in the museum. The interview will determine if our facility is a good fit for you and the orientation provides an overview of the facility, exhibits, as well as policies and procedures to help prepare you with pertinent tools and information. Staff will work with volunteers to ensure an engaging experience.
Volunteers are required to a minimum of 30 hours of service over the course of their time with us.
The Children’s Science Explorium is operated by the City of Boca Raton. Volunteers will need to complete a City Volunteer Application Form.
Complete the form, indicating that you are interested in volunteering for the Explorium, and return it to Sugar Sand Park Community Center. The Explorium will work with the City’s Human Resources Office to process paperwork.
Please note background checks are completed for all individuals prior to their acceptance into the Explorium volunteer program.
Volunteers under age 18 must have parent or guardian approval.