***Walking paths & outdoor basketball courts at Sugar Sand Park are open for public use.
Please practice social distancing (face coverings encouraged).
Please be advised that the Community Center, Children's Science Explorium, Willow Theatre, Carousel, Restrooms, Playground, Field House, & Athletics Fields are currently closed.***
The Children’s Science Explorium offers School Programs designed to challenge and inspire elementary (K-5) students’ science learning through hands-on, inquiry-based activities. All school programs are approximately one hour in length and target state and federal standards for science at each grade level. These programs, plus exhibits and demonstrations, enhance a teacher’s classroom instruction.
How to Register for a Program
- Review the programs offered and choose one suited to your needs
- Be sure to review the pre- and post- visit activities to determine if you can fit them into your classroom schedule
- Have several dates in mind regarding when the field trip will fit into your schedule
- Please remember, we have many groups requesting field trips, therefore your first choice may not be available.
- Available dates are given out on a first come first serve basis and go quickly. Your reservation is not complete until we have received your reservation form (1 for each day you are requesting) and you receive an email from staff confirming your trip dates.
- In many cases, your request should be made at least 6 weeks prior to your field trip date so that we can assure our teachers and volunteers will be available.
- Complete the School Program Reservation Request Form.
- Return the completed form one of three ways:
- Via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Via Fax 561-347-3910
Children's Science Explorium
300 South Military Trail
Boca Raton, FL 33486
- In most cases, you will be contacted within a week of submitting your Reservation Request Form; if you have not heard back in 10 business days, please call 561-347-3905.
- Approximately 2-4 weeks before your scheduled field trip, you will receive pre-visit materials to prepare your students for their visit. You will also receive a confirmation, bus pass to enter Sugar Sand Park and chaperone tips.
*NOTE: All bus passes must be displayed in the front windshield and are your ticket into the park! Failure to bring your bus pass may result in delaying your entrance or being denied entrance; it could reduce time for your program.
What to Expect on Your Field Trip
- Programs: The Explorium classroom accommodates no more than 25 people, including teachers and chaperones and Explorium staff. Please be aware that you need 2 chaperones with your group in the classroom, plus at least one Explorium instructor – this means no more than 22 children can be in a group.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to the program start time to unload the bus and for a brief orientation. If you are going to arrive late, please inform us by calling 561-347-3900.
- Programs begin promptly at 10:00 am. When inclement weather prohibits an outdoor program, an alternate program will be substituted based on availability. The programs will conclude at approximately 12:00; at which time you will be free to have lunch, ride the carousel and visit the Science Playground.
- Exhibits: An exciting part of your visit is exploring the Exhibit Hall. Our permanent and traveling exhibits feature hands-on, interactive exhibits designed to challenge visitors’ thinking and promote an understanding of everyday science. A brief orientation will precede the exploration of the museum. Challenge worksheets about current exhibits are available for students.
*NOTE: The traveling exhibit hall will be closed during change-over (refer to the School Program Guide for specific dates). During these weeks, staff may provide alternative activities, such as guided nature tours and live demonstrations, to ensure a superb experience for students and teachers.
- Chaperones: RECOMMENDED: One Chaperone per seven students; 1 for every 10 is REQUIRED.
Teachers and chaperones are responsible for all of their students and are expected to be involved in the program. It is recommended that chaperones NOT bring other children as it takes the focus away from helping to monitor the students. Staff reserves the right to ask any group to leave due to disorderly and/or inappropriate behavior. Download our Chaperone Survival Guide.
Additional Field Trip Options
- Science Playground: The Science Playground is a unique three-level facility featuring many interactive components. A limited water area is available. Students are advised to bring a towel and a change of clothes if they plan on getting wet. Should you decide students are NOT allowed in this area, you have the option of avoiding it upon entering the playground. Chaperones MUST distribute themselves around the playground to supervise and oversee students’ behavior and activities.
- Carousel: Upon arriving, you will receive a carousel voucher that will give your group one free ride on the carousel. Students are expected to follow all riding guidelines and requests from the carousel operator. If the carousel is closed due to inclement weather or maintenance, there will be no ‘rain check.'
- Lunch: The Classroom Patio or Family Pavilion, adjacent to the Science Playground, will be reserved for visiting groups to enjoy their lunches. Restrooms and water fountains are located at the Family Pavilion. The Explorium has two large bins to hold bagged lunches. Please have students pack their lunches in airtight containers to keep food dry and away from animals. Students and chaperones are responsible for cleaning up their lunch area after eating. Please do not allow children to feed the animals.