***Sugar Sand Park Community Center is open Monday-Friday from 9am-8pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am-4pm for walk-in permit sales and customer service questions.
2020-2021 Beach, Boat, & Dog Permits are available NOW for purchase at City Community Centers. City beach, boat, and dog park/beach permit-holders are still encouraged to renew permits online. Facial coverings are required in all City facilities.
The Science Playground, Splash Pad, walking paths & outdoor basketball courts at Sugar Sand Park are open for public use. Athletic fields are open for individualized or family use only.
Please remember to practice #ResponsibleRecreation, and continue to utilize hand sanitizer, wear face masks, and keep physically distant while visiting our parks and facilities.
Please be advised that the Children's Science Explorium, Willow Theatre, Carousel, and Field House are currently closed.
Pavilions are not being rented at this time. They are available on a first-come first-serve basis, for ten people or less. Decorations are not permitted.***
Welcome! We appreciate that you have taken the time to volunteer as a field trip chaperone to the Children’s Science Explorium. A fun-filled and educational experience awaits you. To ensure that your visit to Sugar Sand Park is an enjoyable one, we remind you of the following policies and suggestions:
- It is mandatory to stay with and supervise assigned students at all times. It is recommended that chaperones NOT bring other children, as it takes the focus away from helping to monitor the students.
- Chaperones and teachers are responsible for student behavior. If behavior is inappropriate, your school will be asked to leave the premises.
Prior to Arrival
- Make sure to know the names and number of students in your group. Nametags are helpful.
- Review the day’s agenda with the lead teacher. Field trips will include a one-hour science program, one-hour Explorium visit, lunch and playground session. Share the trip’s activities with students. This will help prepare them for the day ahead.
During your Visit
- Do an occasional head count to ensure that each student is present. We recommend doing this when changing activities, during bathroom breaks and when entering or exiting the building.
- Encourage questions! We often find that questions are a reflection of what the entire group is wondering.
- If you do not know an answer, ask a staff member. Explorium staff are readily available to help, and will try to answer any questions.
- Lastly, HAVE FUN! Learn with your group. Your interest in the program is contagious!